What is KVPY Exam?
The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) was started in the year 1999 by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc). The exam is conducted by the Indian Institute of Sciences each year. The DST, a governmental agency, has assigned the responsibility of organizing and conducting the KVPY Program to the IISc Bangalore. The IISc Bangalore also has assigned a committee and a National Advisory Committee (NAC) to look after the implementation of the program.
The exam is an ongoing national-level scholarship program awarded to meritorious students to pursue further education in the science stream up to pre-Ph.D. level. This examination program helps eligible students by offering scholarships and encourages them to make a career in science and research. The students qualifying for the exam are eligible for admission and fellowship into the IISc and IISER along with the other required criteria. Here are the complete KVPY Entrance Exam Details that will help.
The objective of the exam:
The objective of the exam is to motivate, identify and assist the students with aptitude, potential, and talent for pursuing their further careers in science and research. This will ultimately aim to ensure the growth and grooming of scientific minds and talents in the field of research along with the significant development of the country.
The exam is divided into three streams viz.
- SA (Class XI)
- SX (Class XII)
- SB (First-year B.Sc.)
Eligibility Criteria for KVPY exam:
- Candidates who have studied science in the XI standard are eligible to apply for the aptitude test.
- Candidates who have scored at least 75% marks aggregate (65% marks in aggregate for candidates belonging to SC, ST, or PWD) in the subject of science and mathematics in the 10th standard board examination immediately are eligible to apply for the aptitude test.
- Candidate must secure at least 60% of marks in total science subjects in class XII standard (+2) board exam. The candidates belonging to SC, ST, or PWD backgrounds must secure 50% of marks.
- Candidates enrolled for the XII standard (+2) in the science subjects or those aspiring to join basic science, including physics, chemistry, mathematics, and biology in the UG program ((B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math. /Int. M.Sc./M.S.) and secure at least 75% marks in science subjects
Process of KVPY application:
The exam process starts with the release of the official advertisement or the news release in all the national dailies, usually on the 11 May (Technology day) and the second Sunday of July every year. The application process of the KVPY exam is followed by four steps which include:
- Application Form submission
- Fee payment
- Application status check
The students are shortlisted based on their performance in the aptitude test and called for an interview. Students are eligible for receiving the fellowship based on their score in both the aptitude test and the interview marks.
- A contingency scholarship and generous grants are provided to the selected students up to the pre Ph.D. level. Along with this, the KVPY organizes summer camps for the KVPY Fellows at the country’s educational and most prestigious institutes.
- The candidates are invited to the National Science Camp (Vijyoshi) during the interim period of one year (KVPY will be responsible for each candidate’s traveling and other expenses).
Format of the examination:
The exam is conducted in a 3 hour, computer-based format that tests the knowledge in physics, chemistry, mathematics, and biology to grant fellowship and undergraduate admissions in the science stream once a year. The test is conducted at various centers in the country. A committee or special group of people is appointed at the IISc to screen and conduct the aptitude test.
- For stream SA-
- Physics: –
Projectile motion, Relative motion, Newton’s law of motion, Rectilinear motion, Friction, Work, power and energy, Circular motion, Centre of mass, Fluid mechanics, Unit & Dimension, Simple harmonic motion, Rigid body dynamics, Sound wave, Kinetic theory of gases and thermodynamics, Calorimetry and thermal expansion, Heat transfer, Measurement error & experiment.
Gravitation, Current electricity, Magnetic effect of current & magnetic force on charge or current, Electromagnetic induction, Electrostatics, Alternating current, Geometrical optics, Wave optics, Modern Physics-I, Nuclear physics
- Chemistry: –
Basic concepts of chemistry /redox (Mole-1), Atomic structure, Periodicity, Chemical bonding, Gaseous state, Purification of chemistry, Thermodynamics, Ionic equilibrium, Chemical equilibrium, Redox (Mole-2), s-block, p-block 13,14, Hydrocarbon (Alkane, Alkene & Alkyne), Qualitative analysis, Kinetics.
Solutions, Electrochemistry, Biomolecules p-block: 15,16,17,18, Alcohols, Ethers, Aldehydes, Phenols, and ketones & carboxylic acid, Chemistry in everyday life, Metallurgy, Haloalkanes and haloarenes, Coordination compounds, Nitrogen compounds.
- Biology: – Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Heredity and Evolution, Reproduction, Life Processes, Our environment, Plant Physiology, Diversity of Living Organisms, Cell: Structure and Function, Human Physiology.
- Mathematics: – Real Number, Polynomials, Geometry, Introduction to Trigonometry, Statistics, Quadratic Equations, Probability, Surface Areas & Volumes, Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometric Functions.
- For stream SX-
- Physics: –
Projectile motion, Relative motion, Newton’s law of motion, Friction, Rectilinear motion, Work, power and energy, Circular motion, Centre of mass, Rigid body dynamics, Fluid mechanics, Elasticity & viscosity, Surface tension, Unit & dimension, Simple harmonic motion, wave on a string, Kinetic theory of gases and thermodynamics, Unit of Dimension, Calorimetry and thermal expansion, Heat transfer, Measurement error & experiment.
Electrostatics, Gravitation, Current electricity, Magnetic effect of current & magnetic force on charge or current, Electromagnetic induction, Capacitance, Alternating current, Electromagnetic waves, Geometrical optics, Wave optics, Modern Physics-I, Nuclear physics, Semiconductors.
- Chemistry: –
Chemical bonding, Thermodynamics, Periodicity, p-block 13,14, Ionic equilibrium, Basic concepts of chemistry (M1), s-block, Organic chemistry basic principle, Hydrocarbon (Alkane, Alkene & Alkyne), Redox (M2), Gaseous state, atomic structure, chemical equilibrium.
Solid-state, Electrochemistry, Kinetics, Surface chemistry Metallurgy, Solutions, p-block: 15,16,17,18, d & f block, Stereoisomerism, Coordination compounds, Qualitative Analysis, Haloalkanes and haloarenes, Alcohols, phenols, ethers, Biomolecules, Aldehydes and ketones & carboxylic acid, Nitrogen compounds, and polymers, Qualitative, Aromatic Compounds.
- Biology: – Human Physiology, Biology, and Human Welfare, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Life processes, Ecology and Environment, Cell, Genetics and Evolution, Plant Physiology, Diversity of Living Organisms, Reproduction.
- Mathematics: – Trigonometric Functions, Geometry, Linear Programming, 3D Geometry, Calculus, Relations and Functions, Coordinate Geometry, Vectors Mathematical Reasoning, Real Number, Polynomials, Introduction to Trigonometry, Surface Areas and Volumes, Statistics and Quadratic Equations, Probability, and Probability.
- For stream SB-
- Physics: – Electromagnetic Induction, Physical World and Measurement, Kinematics, Sources of Energy, Refraction, Applications in Daily Life, Laws of Motion, Magnetic Effects of Current, Work, Energy and Power, Gravitation, Thermodynamics, Reflection, Electrostatics, Current Electricity, Thermal Physics, Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Current, Waves & Optics, Electricity & Magnetism, Electrostatics.
- Chemistry: – Thermodynamics, Chemical Reactions, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Periodic Classification of Elements, Alkynes, Carbon compounds, Acids, Bases and Salts, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Metals, and Non-Metals, Dienes, Environmental Chemistry, Solid State, Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Isolation of Elements, Surface Chemistry, Chemical Bonding, Chemistry of Noble Gases, Structure & Bonding, Alkenes, Cycloalkanes.
- Biology: – Life Processes, Human Physiology, Control and Coordination in Animals and Plants, Genetics and Evolution, Ecology and Environment, Plant Physiology, Reproduction, Diversity of Living Organisms, Environment, Cell: Structure and Function, Biology and Human Welfare, Biotechnology, Genetics.
- Mathematics: – Statistics, Surface Areas & Volumes, Vectors, and 3-D Geometry, Calculus, Polynomials, Geometry, Introduction to Trigonometry, Relations, Quadratic Equations, Probability, Coordinate Geometry, Mathematical Reasoning, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometric Functions, Linear Programming, and Functions, Real number, Analytical Geometry in Two Dimensions, Vector Algebra, Evaluation of Integrals.
How to check the KVPY result?
The result can be checked on the official website link kvpy.iisc.ernet.in. Fill in the required details and download the result.